Friday, May 21, 2010

Raw Food Restaurant in Paris

Having flirted with raw foodism for quite a few years now, and being rather privileged, for gaining so much exposure due to the amazing raw food mecca Kryn Calabrese built in my current city, I wanted to also check out the raw food scene in Europe. I visited one restaurant in Amsterdam - but I will skip this account - and than another in Paris. Important to remember the history and standing Frenchie cuisine enjoys. People in France give much attention to their food, they eat small portions, abundant in greens - even though they also include a lot of animal based products. They are proud of their tradiotion and in touch with their stomachs so to speak. Hence, vegetarian,  vegan and raw foods are generally frowned upon, and considered as fads. This said, raw food restaurants, shops, let alone "meccas" are not easy to come by. I have done my research and it was slim pickins. But i did find one I wanted to visit.
 My former boss, producer of CBC Canada's Fashion File, who is as adventurous and curious in about any department as I,  joined me for the raw lunch.

Pousse-Pousse is tiny. like lego construction tiny. thankfully it was a beautiful summer day so we sat at one of the two sidewalk tables.

The restaurant has a very limited menu compared to what I have seen in Florida, NYC and Chicago, but I was happy to be eating raw in Paris. As many raw food restaurants, Pousse-Pousse also sells some items; food and preparation items, again, the selection is pretty limited. But than again, I AM spoiled in the raw deprtment.

Madeleine and I both did shots of wheat grass, and then proceeded with the plat du jour dubbed "santé" it included a variety of grains, greens and nuts. It was good. Not mind blowing, but good. I will definitely return this summer and see what new items they have added.

I did love the very engaging owner and the pioneering spirit of the place. A must for a raw-foodist, or at least an experimentalist in Paris

Santé!

Pousse-Pousse
7, rue Notre-Dame-de-Lorette, 75009
Métro: Notre-Dame-de-Lorette
01 53 16 10 81

No comments:

Post a Comment